The Secondary Suite Program
The Secondary Suite Program provides a forgivable loan to eligible homeowners and rental property owners to help cover the costs associated with constructing or renovating a secondary suite.The Secondary Suite Program is jointly funded by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and Saskatchewan Housing Corporation.
This program helps to increase the supply of affordable housing for individuals and families with low incomes.
- Eligible homeowners and rental property owners may receive a forgivable loan for up to 50 per cent of the total construction or renovation costs for the secondary suite.
- The maximum loan amounts are up to $10,000 for the development of a suite in new construction, or up to $30,000 for the development or renovation of a suite in an existing property.
- Eligible applicants must:
- own the property, or be in the process of purchasing or contracting a newly constructed home that includes plans to develop a secondary suite;
- rent to eligible tenants who have an annual gross household income below the limits established by Saskatchewan Housing Corporation; and
- keep rents affordable based on the Saskatchewan Housing Corporation rent schedule for the term of the loan. (This is usually 5 years and the tenants should who have an annual gross household income below the limits established by SHC throughout the period)
The secondary suite must be a private, self-contained residential unit that meets all national, provincial, and municipal bylaws, codes, and standards.
Applicants must receive written funding approval from Saskatchewan Housing Corporation before renovating an existing suite OR placing the first initial tenant in a new suite.
How to Apply
- Download the Secondary Suite Application Form.
- Complete the application form.
- Collect the required supporting documents.
- Mail the complete application and supporting documents to:
Saskatchewan Housing Corporation
11th Floor, 1920 Broad Street
REGINA, SK S4P 3V6